This week for class we were asked to write down some of our family rules. At the beginning I had a hard time trying to come up with some rules. I know we had some but could not think of any. Once I thought of the first one they just kept coming and coming. Some of our family rules were:
1. Each person had a designated spot at the dinner table.
2. No gaming systems were allowed until after homework was done.
3. We had to be inside the house when the street lights came on.
4. We stopped trick-or-treating when we turned twelve.
5. We have to call parents on our way home from anything and we have to wake them up when we get home.
Some of these family rules are still followed like the dinner table and calling/waking up parents when we get home. Others like coming in when the street lights are on have not been enforced in many years.
As I talked with classmates about these rules I found that some of my rules were unique. All those that I talked to only had a few rules in common. No one had their own designated dinner table spot and the way my family designates table seats is unique in itself.
When all the children were still living at home we all had our spots. We sat there every night and no one else could take your spot. As the first child left for college, we rearranged the seating. Then the next one left and we rearranged again. But every time one came back we went to an older model for seating arrangements. When I left for college the seating was rearranged. Every time I come back one of my younger siblings tries to take my seat but I just tell them up front, "No. Get out of my seat." And they do.
What I like about my family rules are that I can see what are family rules and what are family traditions. I can see which family traditions I will want to bring into my future family. I can also see how these rules will affect my family and what it does to our relationship.
1. Each person had a designated spot at the dinner table.
2. No gaming systems were allowed until after homework was done.
3. We had to be inside the house when the street lights came on.
4. We stopped trick-or-treating when we turned twelve.
5. We have to call parents on our way home from anything and we have to wake them up when we get home.
Some of these family rules are still followed like the dinner table and calling/waking up parents when we get home. Others like coming in when the street lights are on have not been enforced in many years.
As I talked with classmates about these rules I found that some of my rules were unique. All those that I talked to only had a few rules in common. No one had their own designated dinner table spot and the way my family designates table seats is unique in itself.
When all the children were still living at home we all had our spots. We sat there every night and no one else could take your spot. As the first child left for college, we rearranged the seating. Then the next one left and we rearranged again. But every time one came back we went to an older model for seating arrangements. When I left for college the seating was rearranged. Every time I come back one of my younger siblings tries to take my seat but I just tell them up front, "No. Get out of my seat." And they do.
What I like about my family rules are that I can see what are family rules and what are family traditions. I can see which family traditions I will want to bring into my future family. I can also see how these rules will affect my family and what it does to our relationship.
No comments:
Post a Comment